Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Answering a reader question

KB asks:  "Hey, when you do your remodel projects, how do you budget and know what to buy, like how much paint to get and stuff. I need to start getting mine ready for the bathroom. Can you help a reader out?" 

Great question KB. Here is a rundown of what I do when I'm planning a remodel project:

First, I decide on the absolute maximum amount of money that I can afford to spend. Then, I take that amount of money and divide it into thirds and write down 2/3 of that maximum amount.  That number is my starting point. (More on this in a minute.) For purposes of my example we'll say my max budget is $600, so 2/3 of that would be $400.

Next, I get myself a notebook and make a list of everything I want to do in the room. For example if I'm updating a bathroom, the list may look like this:


  • paint
  • faucet
  • towel bars (2)
  • shower curtain
  • window covering
  • towels
  • rug
  • wall art (2)
  • accessories


Now I take my notebook to the local home improvement, big box and discount stores and start pricing out the materials I want to use. I can do the pricing online, however doing it in person means that I can take advantage of any scratch and dent or clearance merchandise that my stores won't have listed online. I also list the name (or initials) of the store I want to make the purchase at.

  • paint -$35.88  per gallon for wall $16.88 per quart for trim -1 of each(HD)
  • faucet- $74.95 (HD)
  • towel bars (2)- $34.99 each (HD)
  • shower curtain-$39.95 (Target)
  • window covering $24.95 (BBB)
  • towels  $4.99 each x 4 (Ikea)
  • rug  $12.99(Ikea)
  • wall art (2) $9.99 each (HL)
  • accessories  $22.50(BL)
Adding it all up I have $373.90 for basic materials This amount falls within that 2/3 budget amount so for now I'm good to go. Just remember to mark down the actual costs after tax of your purchases, keep a running tab and don't forget to keep all of your reciepts. I tape an envelope to the inside cover of my notebook to keep them in so I won't lose them.

So what becomes of the leftover 1/3 of the budget money? It's left in reserve for unforeseen purchases:


  • I don't own painting supplies so I need to buy rollers, brushes, trays, drop cloths and tape.- $25
  • I installed the faucet but noticed I have a leak under the sink so I need to replace the pipe-$30
  • I went to put up the shower curtain but my old rings look ugly with it so I want to replace them-$15
  • The rug isn't large enough so I need to exchange it for a bigger one that costs $10 more
  • The new towel bars are larger so I need to buy spackle to patch the old holes-$5
  • I love the wall art, but there is still one blank area that needs something $10
  • I forgot to put a new trash can on the list-$10
It's amazing how quickly those unforeseen purchases can add up. Just that little list alone is over $100. 

Let me address what happens when I spend more than the budgeted amount. Well, I have a long discussion with Hubby about what made the project go over and we decide if we need to cut items off the list, exchange something we've already chosen for something less expensive or do we increase the budget. Doing the 2/3 main budget 1/3 reserve really helps keep this from happening very often and I know that I can "dip" into the reserve if I need to.

Now to address the paint part of your question, here is how I figure how much paint I will need for a room:  A gallon of paint will cover roughly 350 square feet per coat. Yes, you can do the math or you can do what I do and punch my numbers into an online paint calculator and it will give you a really good idea of how much to buy. Any of these will work fine or you can do an online search for one of your own:

Sherwin Williams Paint Calculator

I hope I was able to answer your questions KB. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Happy Remodeling!



No comments:

Post a Comment